Decisions around the permitted uses of land and how a property is configured are not made lightly. For this reason, property owners and developers who want to make such changes must apply for a zoning bylaw amendment.

On this page:

  1. Consultation
  2. Filing an application
  3. After you apply


If you want to file an application for a zoning bylaw amendment, you need to request a pre-submission consultation before you apply.

Filing an application

After you complete the pre-submission process, you can file a complete application for a zoning bylaw amendment.

Download the application

Please fill out the application form, then either:

Send us an email if you need access to ShareFile to upload your application.

As soon as possible after sending us your application virtually, please send the original, signed application form and cheque (payable to the City of Kitchener) to:

Attn: Manager of Development Review
200 King Street West
Kitchener, ON
N2G 4V6

After you apply

This is a public process and involves circulating the application to:

  • members of the community
  • internal staff
  • external review agencies

These groups will be able to review and comment on the application. Our staff will host public engagement sessions to allow for comments.

Staff will work with you to resolve any outstanding comments before making a recommendation to the Planning and Strategic Initiatives Committee.

City council will make the final decision on all applications.

This process usually takes between four and six months.