The Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act allows our City Clerk or designate to administer oaths and take affidavits. This is not the same as a notary public. We do not have a notary public on staff.

  1. Book an appointment
  2. Process
  3. Domestic and foreign pensions
  4. Notary services or certified copies
  5. Documents we may commission
  6. Documents we cannot commission

Book an appointment

City Hall is open for in-person services. If you want to plan your visit and reduce waiting times, please book an appointment.

Many services are also available online or by phone.


You are required to sign the affidavit in the presence of the commissioner and must show government issued identification that contains a current photo and signature, like a valid driver’s licence or passport.

Send us an email or call 519-741-2203 if you need help determining if the commissioner is authorized to sign the document, and to ensure there is a commissioner available.


  • document commission: $20

Domestic and foreign pensions

We can commission domestic and foreign pension or proof of life forms.


  • first form: $15
  • each additional form: $5

We accept cash or debit.

Notary services or certified copies

We do not provide this service. If you need the signature of a notary or certified copies of documents, please contact a lawyer or notary. More information is available on the province's website.

Documents we may commission

Upon review of the document, we will determine if the document meets our specifications.

We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

  • city business
  • affidavit for lost Outdoors Card
  • affidavit for family gift of a used motor vehicle
  • affidavit of unregistered vehicle (boards, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trailers, etc.)
  • amendment to birth, death or marriage certificate
  • delayed Statement of Live Birth
  • domestic and foreign pension or proof of life
  • Immunization Exemption form or Statement of Conscience
  • Name Change form (adult and child)
  • Proof of Residency (owner or tenant letters)
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP - Statement of Common-law Status and Supporting Children
  • Statutory Declaration for a Change of Sex Designation on a Birth Registration of an Adult
  • Statutory Declaration of Apprenticeship Hours
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification (must include police report number)
  • Sworn Statement for the Transfer of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario

Documents we cannot commission

More information about these services is on the province's website.

  • anything specifically requiring a notary public
  • Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee (with or without a will)
  • Certified true copies
  • cohabitation (living in a common-law relationship)
  • divorce, separation or marriage agreements
  • documents involving debt (example: bankruptcy)
  • estate settlement documents
  • Power of Attorney
  • real estate matters (including sale, purchase and mortgages)
  • Travel Affidavit - Parent's Permission to Allow Children to Travel Outside of the Country
  • wills, estates and trusts