Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Our staff can help you apply for a marriage licence and understand the process of getting married in Kitchener.

On this page:

  1. Apply for a marriage licence
  2. Marriage licence requirements
  3. Marriage licence expiry and replacement
  4. Marriage certificates
  5. Wedding venues
  6. Divorce
  7. Legislated services division

Apply for a marriage licence

If you’re planning to get married in Ontario, you and your future spouse need to apply for a marriage licence.


City Hall is open for walk-ins. If you want to plan your visit, you can book an appointment.

What you need to get a marriage licence

To process your application, we need:

You must download Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 10.0 or above) to view/print the marriage licence application form.

If the provided documents are valid and consistent, we issue the marriage licence on the day of your application.

Cost of licence

A marriage licence in Kitchener costs $160.

Marriage licence requirements

Please review the requirements below before you apply for a marriage licence.

Government-issued identification

You must provide two pieces of government-issued identification (ID) for each person getting married. At least one piece must include your photo and signature. We do not accept expired ID or photocopies.

  • government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • valid passport
  • record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • valid driver's licence
  • valid Ontario photo card

Persons under the age of 18

Any person under the age of 18 years of age needs written consent from both parents. You must be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario. Send us an email if you have any questions.

Marriage licence after divorce

If either person has been divorced, we need:

  • an original divorce certificate if divorced in Canada
  • Foreign Divorce Authority Letter from the Province of Ontario if divorced outside of Canada

Find more information on the province's website.

Civil annulment

If you've obtained a civil annulment as opposed to a divorce, you must provide the appropriate paperwork.

Publication of banns

If you want to have your banns published, please check with your clergy before applying for a marriage licence. A marriage may be solemnized under the authority of the publication of banns.

Marriage licence expiry and replacement


After we issue the licence, it is valid anywhere in Ontario for 90 days.

Due to COVID-19, the Province of Ontario has changed some licence expiry dates. See the table below for dates.

Date of issue (inclusive)Valid up to and including
December 1, 2019 to July 24, 2020 July 24, 2022
July 25, 2020 to September 30, 2020 normal 90-day expiry date
October 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 February 10, 2023
January 1, 2021 to June 4, 2021 June 4, 2023

If your issuance date gives you an extended expiry date, you do not need a new licence for postponed weddings if no critical information has changed.

  • critical information includes: legal name or marital status
  • critical information does not include: wedding date

Please hold onto your original licence. 


If you purchased a marriage licence between December 1, 2019 and July 24, 2020 or between October 1, 2020 and February 10, 2021, but have lost or damaged the licence, you may be eligible for a replacement licence. A request for an appointment is required and the cost of a replacement licence is $79.

If you purchased your original licence at a municipality other than City of Kitchener, you will be also required to submit a consent form as part of the "request an appointment". This form will allow us to contact another municipality to validate the date and licence information of the original licence. As this requires additional steps, there may be a delay in receiving confirmation for an appointment. Please ensure you apply well in advance of your wedding. 

Marriage certificates

After your ceremony, the officiant will mail your marriage licence to the Office of the Registrar General for registration.

After your licence has been registered, you can apply for a marriage certificate through Service Ontario. They collect a service fee, which you can pay by debit or credit.

If you prefer to mail your application or pay by cheque or money order, you can pick up a printed marriage certificate application from our legislated services division or at a Service Ontario centre.

Wedding venues

If you are looking for an affordable wedding venue in Kitchener, consider one of our facilities. Check our wedding venues page to find a space.


The Ministry of the Attorney General is responsible for divorces and separations in Ontario.

Legislated services division

Our staff work from the second floor of City Hall. Staff are available from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday (except for statutory and other holidays). We do not issue marriage licences after 4:30 p.m.

For more information, call us at 519-741-2275.