Our site alteration bylaw (and 2023 amendment) controls certain kinds of changes to a property. The bylaw ensures that earth, fill or topsoil isn’t removed or added in a way that damages drainage, water quality or natural features.

On this page:

  1. When you need a permit
  2. Apply for a permit
  3. Fees
  4. Expiry and renewal

When you need a permit

Download our homebuilder's handout to find guidelines for site alteration permits.

Apply for a permit

If you need a site alteration permit, send these documents to staff by email:

  • a completed application form
  • five copies of a detailed plan or survey
  • supporting studies or reports
  • payment of the required fees


Site alteration permit fees are:

  • permit: $320
  • permit revisions: $198
  • permit renewal: $130

We will begin processing your application after receiving the fee.

Expiry and renewal

A site alteration permit lasts for 90 calendar days.

You can apply to extend a permit at least 30 days before it is set to expire. You must apply in writing to our director of engineering as long as the project has not changed.