If you’re buying, selling or mortgaging a property, you may need a letter of zoning compliance. You can request a letter or your lawyer can request it on your behalf.

On this page:

  1. Request a letter of compliance
  2. What we include in the letter

Request a letter of compliance

To request a letter of zoning compliance:

  1. fill out an application form (or prepare a detailed written request)
  2. send the form or request to planning staff by email or send it by mail to:

Attn: Planning Division
200 King Street West
Kitchener, ON
N2G 4V6 

You can pay the application fee using the payment methods below. All payment are available in person at City Hall. To plan your visit, book an appointment online.

  • cheque (you can also send a cheque by mail to City Hall)
  • cash
  • debit card
  • credit card (if paying by phone, please include your phone number on the form so that we can call you to arrange this payment)

If you have any questions, send us an email or call 519-741-2317.

What we include in the letter

Here is the information we will include in the letter:

  • Official Plan designation
  • current zoning and if the proposed property use is compliant
  • pending zoning, if applicable
  • compliance with building setback regulations, if current survey available
  • status of any building and plumbing permits on file
  • whether there are any active zoning or property standard violations
  • whether the property has any heritage significance