To widen the driveway apron/boulevard in Kitchener, you need a permit. You can apply online.

Apply for a permit

On this page:

  1. Apply for a permit
  2. Permit cost
  3. Driveway extension bylaws
  4. Contractors

Apply for a permit

You need a permit to widen the driveway apron/boulevard beyond your property lines or to cut the curb. If you cut the curb or widen the driveway onto city land without a permit, you may have to pay a fine.

Please apply for a permit at least 15 business days before you plan to start the project.

Your application must include:

  • property address
  • contractor name and contact information
  • proposed width of driveway once completed
  • expected construction dates

If you're not sure if you need a permit, please send us an email or call 519-741-2426.

Apply online

Use our online form to apply for a permit.

Permit cost

A driveway widening permit costs $375. We refund $230 when the project is complete, making the final cost $145. If your property is on a regional road, more rules apply.

Driveway extension bylaws

When cutting the curb or widening a driveway apron/boulevard, you cannot:

  • remove on-street parking
  • remove or harm street trees

Properties on regional roads

If your property is on a regional road, there may be an extra cost of $100. You will need to apply for and obtain a Regional Access Permit and Regional Work Permit. Apply for both permits through the Region of Waterloo. We will not approve a curb cut on a regional road without these permits.

Some regional roads are Access Regulated Prohibited (such as parts of Fischer-Hallman), and any change to an access on those roads could require a report to Regional Council for their permission. Our staff will work with you to make sure your project is meeting the Region’s requirements.

Maximum driveway width

For single detached houses, the maximum driveway width is generally 50% of your lot width to a maximum of 8 metres.

For single detached houses within our central neighbourhoods, the maximum driveway width is generally 40% of your lot width to a maximum of 8 metres. Send us an email if your property is within our central neighbourhoods and you want to confirm the maximum driveway width.

Attached garages

If your home has an attached garage, the driveway must be at least 1.2 metres from the side property line.

Some driveways on properties with an attached garage can be located 0.6 metres from the side property line. Send us an email to confirm your property's requirement.


When you are widening a driveway, you must use the same material as the existing driveway.

The driveway must be a different material from sidewalks or other walkways.


You must hire a licensed contractor to widen your curb. If you hire a different contractor before you start the project, please let us know.