We've made it easier than ever for you to connect with Kitchener. You can connect with us online, in person, by email, through social media, or by phone - it's up to you!

Report a problem

On this page:

  1. Online
  2. Phone and TTY
  3. In person
  4. Mail


If you see something that needs our attention, report a problem online.

You can also send us an email.

Social media

Follow us on social media for updates and things to do:


Create a free MyKitchener account to:

  • build and customize a personalized dashboard
  • get notifications for upcoming registration dates (including summer camps!)
  • report a problem and get updates from staff
  • manage your property tax and utility bills

Signing up for an account takes less than 5 minutes! You can login to MyKitchener from your computer, tablet or phone.

Create a MyKitchener account

Phone and TTY

Call us 24/7 at 519-741-2345 to report an issue or ask a question.

Call 1-866-969-9994 to use our TTY system for deaf and hard of hearing callers.

Noise complaints

To file a noise complaint, call the Waterloo Regional Police Service non-emergency line at 519-570-9777.

In person

Kitchener City Hall is located at 200 King Street West in downtown Kitchener. City Hall is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday.

Staff on the first floor can help you find the support you need. If you enter the building from Duke Street, you will need to go down the stairs or elevators to the first floor.

Find parking for your vehicle or bike downtown.


Our mailing address is:

City of Kitchener
PO Box 1118
Kitchener, ON
Canada N2G 4G7