890 kilometres of water mains deliver fresh, clean water to our community. These pipes are located underground and in neighbourhoods they usually run under the street. Corrosion due to age and extreme weather changes can damage pipes.

An underground water-main break can flood streets and homes causing damage, and a risk to safety. Breaks must be controlled as quickly as possible. Know what signs to look for and what to do if you suspect a water-main break to keep your property safe. 

Signs to look for

If a hole or crack develops in the pipe, the water will typically find its way to the surface and continue to flow until it's repaired.

  • Water pooling or flowing above ground
  • Reduced water pressure in your home

What to do

It must be repaired as quickly as possible. If you suspect there is a water-main break in your neighbourhood contact: Kitchener Utilities at 519-741-2529.

What to expect

  • If water in your area needs to be turned off for a repair you will receive little or no notice.
  • After a water main break, you may notice brown or cloudy water coming from the tap. This is normal. If this happens, run your water until it becomes clear before drinking it or using appliances.