At the City of Kitchener, we’re working hard to make sure important programs and services continue during the COVID-19 pandemic.

On this page:

  1. Appointments
  2. Services available online or by phone
  3. Services available in-person by appointment only
  4. Additional service information


Many of our services can be completed online or by phone. See below for a listing of services available online or by phone, a list of services available in-person by appointment only and additional service information you may find helpful.

Please book an appointment for in-person services. We encourage you to use phone and online services for general inquiries, applications, and/or payments, and to mail-in applications and/or payments, where possible.   

Or call the City’s Corporate Contact Centre at 519-741-2345. 

Services available online or by phone

  • Transportation and traffic related inquiries

Legislative services

Community Services 
Paying a parking ticket
If you receive a parking ticket, you can pay your fine using any of the following methods:
  • Online
  • By mail
  • Payment box outside city hall
Find more details on our parking ticket payment page.
Property taxes and utility bills

Kitchener City Council approved extending immediate short-term economic relief measures to support residents and businesses for an additional 30 days. To help offer some financial flexibility to those significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, the City will be waiving penalties and interest on property taxes, late payment charges on utility bills and invoices, and non-sufficient fund (NSF) fee charges for the month of June 2020.

In addition, City Council approved additional relief and support for residents and business including:

  • an application-based property tax deferral program. The new program, launched in June, allows residents and businesses to apply to extend 2020 final property tax bill due dates by 60 days.
  • the suspension of utility disconnection and collection activities up to and including August 31, 2020.

The deadline to apply for a tax deferral has now passed.

Payment options:

Pre-authorized payments

To cancel your pre-authorized payments, please submit a request at least 14 days before your next payment date. You can submit a request through our revenue division.

Letter of zoning compliance
To obtain a letter of zoning compliance before purchasing or leasing a property, send the application via email to our planning staff. 

We accept payment via cheque. You can send a cheque by mail or courier to City Hall attention: 6th floor, Planning Division. Please refer to the type of application you are submitting (a letter of zoning compliance) and reference the address or business name that the application relates to.

Zoning occupancy certificates
To obtain a zoning occupancy certificate, send an email to our planning staff.

We accept payment via cheque. You can send a cheque by mail or courier to City Hall attention: 6th floor, Planning Division. Please include a reference to the application the payment pertains to.

Land development applications

We are accepting new development applications in the following digital formats:

  • by email
  • uploaded to our ShareFile service

If you need access to our ShareFile service, please send us an email.

Your application should include:

  • copy of the application form
  • photocopy of cheque payment
  • any other required documentation

Mail or courier the original, signed application form and cheque to City Hall, to the attention of the Planning Division.

There may be delays and limitations on finalizing staff reports and approvals due to:

  • current restrictions on community engagement
  • suspension of committee/council meetings
  • other provincial directives beyond our control

We appreciate your patience. If you have any questions or need help with this process, please contact us.

Please visit the land development applicationsite plan or pre-submission consultation pages for more information.

Kitchener Utilities
  • Rental Water Heaters – repairs and service by phone 741-2529 or email
  • Water and Natural Gas Service Repairs – by phone 741-2529 or email

Trained technicians are continuing in-person appointments for utility services.

Here’s how we’re keeping you safe:

  • The City of Kitchener has implemented a COVID-19 vaccination policy and program that is mandatory for all staff.
  • Only healthy staff are deployed to service appointments and show no signs or symptoms of illness
  • Staff are maintaining 2 metres of physical distance from residents
  • Hands and tools are sanitized
  • Staff are wearing masks and if necessary, gloves

Here’s what you can do:

  • Open gates and doors for staff so they do not need to have contact with these surfaces
  • Physical distance by maintaining 2 metres of separation while staff perform their work
  • If possible, position the occupants in your home in a different room from where staff are doing work
  • Avoid “hovering” over staff while they perform their work
  • Consider wearing a mask

For more information, visit Kitchener Utilities.

Sign permit applications
Kitchener City Council approved extending immediate short-term economic relief measures to support residents and businesses including waiving temporary sign permit fees up to and including December 31, 2020.

Please email sign permit applications along with any questions to our planning division.

Services available in-person by appointment only

City Hall is open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

All City Hall services are now available on the main floor at the Information Desk and Revenue Counter. Appointments for in-person service are highly recommended.

Or call the City’s Corporate Contact Centre at 519-741-2345. 

Business licensing

You can now submit a request for an appointment for a business licensing consultation or to submit your application.

Consultations can also be done by calling Licensing Services at 519-741-2275 or emailing us. You can also continue to mail in your new or renewal application with payment, or use our drop-box at our Young Street entrance (located outside the doors). Renewals notices will be mailed directly to you.

  • Make a payment
  • Apply for permits
  • Deliver plans/reports
  • Request surveys/drawings to review/purchase
Building inspections and permits

The City of Kitchener is now resuming inspections of occupied buildings. Additional safety measures have been added to the process to ensure safety for staff, contractors and occupants.

We are reviewing new permit applications using digital software. Staff will continue inspections of unoccupied buildings following provincial direction. Visit our building permits webpage for more information or email our staff.

  • Review plans/staff comments for site plans and subdivisions
  • Make a payment
  • Apply for permits
  • Deliver plans/reports
  • Make a payment (where mail-in payment is not an option)
  • Pick up or drop off (i.e. notification signs or documentation requested by staff)
  • Commissioner of Oaths for development application signatures
  • Consultation for development applications and services
Economic Development 
Legislated Services 
  • Property assessment
  • Property standards
  • Commissioning documents (Foreign pensions and other – signing and payment)
Marriage licenses
Marriage licences are being issued on a prioritized basis via appointment only. For more information on how to request an appointment, please visit our marriage licenses page.
Transportation (parking) 
  • Pick up new transponder or permit
  • Pick up parking passes

Bill payments including:

  • Property taxes
  • Utility bills
  • Miscellaneous billing
  • Parking tickets

How to book an appointment  

Complete the appropriate appointment request form below. You will be asked to select a service, date, and time as well as provide your name, contact information and additional information related to your request. The form includes a COVID-19 health screening question. 

Alternatively, you can complete this process by phone, by calling the City’s Corporate Contact Centre at 519-741-2345.


Additional service information

Downtown and hospital area parking

Parking locations that are open:

  • Duke & Ontario garage
  • Charles & Benton garage
  • All downtown and hospital area city-owned surface lots
  • Some downtown on-street parking

We encourage digital, cashless payments to help fight the spread of germs on cash and physical infrastructure.  For those who must go out (whether to work or for supplies), if you need to park, please remember to use the Passport Parking app whenever possible to pay for on or off street parking.

Parking locations that are closed for daily parking:

  • City Hall garage
  • Kitchener Market garage
  • Civic District garage (KPL/Centre in the Square)
  • On-street parking on King Street between Frederick Street and Francis Street

Free parking is available in city surface lots after 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and all day Sunday. If you have a city-issued transponder or mirror permit, you still have access to your parking facility.

Monthly parking permits

Monthly permit holders will receive a refund on their account for three weeks of parking fees (March 16 to April 6, 2020). On April 6, 2020, regular parking fees resumed. Parking and appropriate parking facilities support essential services.

You can suspend your parking permit without fear of losing your parking space. Please contact our parking staff, and include the following information:

  • Full name
  • Customer account number
  • Parking facility where you currently park

When normal operations resume, and upon your request, we will reactivate your parking permit.

Wider sidewalks downtown

To help make room for physical and social distancing, we have made the sidewalk on King Street wider. Between Frederick Street and Francis Street, we have added barriers to expand the sidewalk into the on-street parking spaces. During the summer, we usually use these bollards to create patio spaces.

Cars, bikes and trucks are still allowed on King Street. If you need to drive downtown to pick something up, you can park curbside for 15 minutes. We ask that deliveries take place in lane-ways and on side streets.

Public washrooms downtown
Public washrooms in downtown Kitchener are open, except the washroom outside of city hall is closed due to construction.
Refunds for programs

All programs are cancelled up to and including June 30. We are issuing refunds to everyone registered for a program during this time.

Refund methods vary by payment type. We will process refunds as soon as possible, but there may be some delays due to the volume of refunds.

  • Credit card: we will refund your purchase to the credit card registered to your Active Net account. Please check your account information to verify the credit card information is correct.
  • Debit, cheque and cash: we will add a credit to your Active Net account. If you want a refund of this credit, please email us with the following information:
    • Full name
    • Phone number
    • Full mailing address

Please log in to your ActiveNet account to update your account information. This will help us refund your payment quicker.

We are suspending any related memberships during this period. Your expiry date will be extended once facilities reopen.

Summer programs, including camps, are scheduled to continue as planned. We will update this page as future decisions are made.

Leisure access funds

You will receive a credit to your account if you paid for part or all of your program registration using leisure access funds.

If you paid for the full amount with leisure access funds, you will receive a credit for the full amount. If you also used a different payment method, you will receive a partial credit and partial refund as outlined above.

Future programming and registration

We are not accepting new program registrations during this period. We will continue to review the situation as new information becomes available. Future decisions will be based on recommendations from our provincial and regional partners. Subscribe to this page to get updates when we post them. Find free online activities through our Active At Home program.

Facility rentals and events

Facility rentals are limited while in step 2

Ontario is in a modified version of step 2 of the province’s roadmap to reopen. Read more.

City of Kitchener facility rentals are limited to wedding ceremonies, funerals, rites and religious ceremonies:

  • indoor: permitted at 50% capacity of the room
  • outdoor: capacity limited to the number of people that can maintain two metres of physical distance

Proof of vaccination

Individuals entering a City of Kitchener recreation facility or community centre must show proof of vaccination via a paper or electronic copy of their vaccine record as well as identification. Some exceptions apply. Learn more.

You can print or download your vaccination receipt from the provincial booking portal.


If you have a question about a specific event or rental, see our rental spaces page to contact a city staff member.

Bylaw enforcement

We will continue to enforce any bylaws related to the health and safety of residents. Staff are proactively addressing and responding to parking enforcement requests that are safety-related.

Surface lots downtown re-opened on April 6, enforcement staff are proactively monitoring and enforcing paid parking in all lots within the downtown.

If you have any questions or need to report a problem, call 519-741-2345 or send us an email.

To file a noise complaint, call the Waterloo Region Police Service at 519-570-9777.

City staff are working

City of Kitchener staff are still working to provide critical services during this time.


The Ontario Government determined construction and maintenance of roads, watermains, sewers and other critical municipal infrastructure is essential. All non-essential construction projects are paused. All contractors working on critical projects for the City of Kitchener employ policies and procedures to protect the health and wellness of workers and the community in general as part of the contractor's Health and Safety Plan and in accordance with Ministry of Labour guidelines.

Garbage and recycling

Waste collection is a critical service provided by the Region of Waterloo. Please continue to sort, prepare and place your items on the curb for 7 a.m. on your collection day.

You can fill out this form if you run into any issues with curbside collection.

Public transit

Grand River Transit is operating buses, MobilityPLUS and ION trains. Changes to ION services levels went into effect on Monday, March 16.

Visit Grand River Transit for more information and trip planning.

Special council meetings

Electronic special meetings of council may be scheduled as needed to ensure the business of the city can continue to move forward. Check our council calendar or follow us on social media to get updates.

Kitchener is part of the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, which means that some of the services that are provided to citizens are the responsibility of the city and others are the responsibility of the region.

Residents pay taxes to both orders of government and both the city and the region have councils that set their individual budgets.

The following chart outlines and provides quick links to some of the key areas of responsibility for the City of Kitchener and the Region of Waterloo.