Fee assistance


If you or your child would like to participate in one of our recreation programs but you cannot afford to pay the registration fee, you may be eligible for Leisure Access - a fee assistance program designed to make our programs accessible to everyone.

*New* Eligible residents will receive $215 per adult and $250 per child to put towards participation in a recreational program or activity. There will be no financial cap per program. Leisure Access can be used to cover the full cost of the program up to the maximum amount for a child or an adult. 

The Leisure Access period will start Nov. 1 to Oct. 31, 2019, based on funding availability. You must apply to renew your leisure access each year. 


Using your leisure access 

Your leisure access can be used to cover eligible fees for the following programs and activities:

Your leisure access can also be used for:

  • Swim tickets for adults, children or seniors; limit of five tickets per customer, per week 
  • Skating tickets, in bundles of 5 or 20, can be purchased in person at The Aud, Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. If purchasing for multiple family members or in multiple bundles, please email your request to allow time for us to prepare the tickets in advance.

  • A three-month swim pass for our indoor and outdoor pools
  • Gym tickets; valid at Breithaupt Community Centre and Downtown Community Centre only
  • Kitchener Group Card

Your leisure access cannot be used for:

  • Programs offered by neighbourhood associations at our community centres. Please contact each neighbourhood association directly.
  • Minor sports organizations (e.g. hockey, soccer, gymnastics, baseball). Please contact each sport organization directly.
  • Private or semi-private swimming lessons.
  • Re-certification in aquatic leadership programs.
  • Manuals, exam fees or administrative fees for swimming programs.
  • Program or supply costs for leisure programs (e.g. art supplies).

How to apply for leisure access

Applying for leisure access is easy - simply:

  • Download our application form, or pick one up at any of our community centres or pools. The application is also available in accessible formats upon request.
  • Bring your completed form, as well as proof of income and address, to any indoor pool or community centre; or mail the completed form to the address listed on the application.
  • If you qualify, a letter will be mailed to you; please allow up to 10 business days for processing. Your leisure access will show up on your City of Kitchener ACTIVE net account, making it easy to use for online register too.

Canadian Tire Jumpstart program 

*Currently Not Accepting Applications* 

Canadian Tire's Jumpstart program gives kids, who are four to 18 years of age, a chance to participate in sports. Jumpstart funding helps families who qualify a financial hand with program registration costs.

You don't have to be approved for Leisure Access to qualify for Jumpstart. To apply or obtain more information, visit Jumpstart today.

Funding for the remainder of 2018 has been depleted. Jumpstart is currently not accepting applications for funding. Funding will re-open in mid-January 2019.



Contact Us