As part of a regular review process the City is reviewing the licensing bylaws to improve resident health and safety, consumer protection, and nuisance control. The City of Kitchener currently licenses lodging houses otherwise known as rooming houses. We do not currently license short-term accommodation or property rentals.

As part of this review, we are updating the existing Lodging House bylaw. We are also considering expanding the bylaw to license other types of rental properties, specifically short-term rentals. This could include licensing rentals of:

  • accommodations
  • accessory units (such a tiny homes or sheds)
  • driveways or parking spots
  • pools or backyards

We would like to hear from a broad spectrum of the community including, tenants/renters; landlords of licensed lodging houses and other types of rentals; neighbours of lodging houses; and more.

Your feedback will help us to understand what changes we might need to make to better support landlords, tenants and neighbours alike.

This survey will take five to seven minutes to complete. It closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, June 6.

For more information and a link to the survey, please visit