Committee of adjustment


Under the terms of the Provincial Planning Act, the committee - made up of five residents who are appointed by city council -- has the authority to:

  • Grant minor variances from our zoning bylaw,
  • Allow changes to legal, non-conforming uses that current zoning does not permit,
  • Give consent for land severance to divide a parcel of land into more than one lot, or as lot additions to abutting properties,
  • Give consent to mortgages, partial discharge of mortgages and validation of title and
  • Give consent to leases over 21 years, quit claims, easements and rights-of-way.

A panel of three members is present at each meeting, and all decisions must be made in public.

In addition, our own Municipal Code gives the committee of adjustment authority to grant:

However, fence and sign variance approvals are subject to ratification by city council.

Application process

To help you understand how the committee of adjustment works - including details on process, timing, fees and application deadlines - we've created a comprehensive guide, outlining what you can expect from the application process.

You can download and print the following minor-variance application forms:

2019 minor variance application forms:

When submitting your application, please provide:

  • One original plus 15 copies of the application form, and
  • 16 detailed plans. If combined with a consent application, please submit one original plus 19 copies of the application and 20 detailed plans).

To apply for consents/validation of title, or a change of conditions to a provisional consent, please download and print the appropriate form:

2019 consent forms:

When submitting your application, please provide:

  • One original plus 19 copies of the application form, and
  • 20 copies of the original consent decision.

Application forms are also available at Kitchener City Hall; visit our planning division, located on the sixth floor, for assistance, or contact us at 519-741-2426.


Processing fees apply to all applications to go before the committee of adjustment.Please keep in mind, the Region of Waterloo and/or Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) may require additional fees to process your application. Failure to provide these fees may delay and/or stop your application from moving forward. These fees may be submitted as a separate cheque(s), payable to the region and/or GRCA, along with your application form. We will forward your cheque(s) to the appropriate agency on your behalf. For more information, refer to their websites.

2019 committee of adjustment fees (effective Jan. 1, 2019)

  • Minor variance (fence, sign) costs $1,165;

  • Minor variance (zoning) costs $1,250;

  • Consent costs $1,479;

  • Change of conditions of a provisional consent costs $725;

  • Certificate of official costs $255;

  • Deferral fee costs $408.

2019 Meeting schedule and application deadlines
Application deadline (5 p.m.) Meeting date
Monday December 10, 2018 Tuesday January 15, 2019
Monday January 14, 2019 Tuesday February 19, 2019
Monday February 11, 2019 Tuesday March 19, 2019
Monday March 11, 2019 Tuesday April 16, 2019
Monday April 15, 2019 Tuesday May 21, 2019
Monday May 13, 2019 Tuesday June 18, 2019
Monday June 10, 2019 Tuesday July 16, 2019
Monday July 15, 2019 Tuesday August 20, 2019
Monday August 12, 2019 Tuesday September 17, 2019
Monday September 9, 2019 Tuesday October 15, 2019
Tuesday October 15, 2019 Tuesday November 19, 2019
Monday November 4, 2019 Tuesday December 10, 2019

Each meeting is live-streamed on our website. You can tune into a live meeting, or watch a past meeting.

Contact Us