Making a claim


If you have incurred financial cost for an incident you believe falls under our responsibility, you can make a claim.

However, we strongly urge you to begin by contacting your insurance company or broker. Depending on the type of property damaged, as well as your insurance policy, you may be eligible for greater compensation than you could legally recover from us or another party. For more information, please review our frequently asked questions on property damage and claims

If you choose to make a claim against us, please keep in mind that in some situations, you must place us on notice within 10 days of the incident; and, according to the Municipal Act, we must receive notification in writing.

Please forward your claim to the following address:

Office of the City Clerk

Kitchener City Hall, 2nd Floor

200 King St. W.

Kitchener, ON, N2G 4G7

Fax: 519-741-2705

Payment with respect to property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the city being found legally liable for the incident.

  • Claim-reporting process

Your notice of claim must contain the following information:

  • The name, mailing address, email address and telephone number of the person making the claim.
  • The contact name, mailing address, email address and telephone number of the person submitting the claim, if different from above.
  • The date, approximate time and exact location of the incident (address or closest intersection).
  • A brief description of the incident.
  • The type of damage or injury.
  • The name of any contractor involved (if known).

We will acknowledge your claim within one week of receiving the details. An investigation will then begin; you will be advised of the outcome when all relevant facts are determined.

If you questions about the claims notification process, please contact us at 519-741-2961.

  • Compensation for your costs

Fraudulent claims cost taxpayers. We will prosecute all fraudulent claims to the full extent of the law.

We will only compensate when we are determined to be legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce financial burden for taxpayers, who ultimately bear the costs of these claims.

You may wish to contact your own insurer regarding damages. If the insurer believes we are responsible for your damage, the insurer will seek compensation on your behalf, as stipulated in your insurance policy.

Whenever damage to city property is caused by a third party, our risk management division seeks recovery of the related costs from the responsible party.

Contact Us