Freedom of information


We make every effort to provide the community appropriate access to our records while balancing the need for privacy.

Our position aligns with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), which promotes transparency by facilitating public access to records, either partially or in full.

If you're interested in accessing one or more of our records, you may have to submit a Freedom of Information (FOI) request.


Records we cannot share publicly are called exemptions; they are kept private to protect the rights of another person or organization. If we determine we cannot disclose all or part of a record, we must declare which exemption(s) apply to the record(s).


If we have denied access to all or part of a record(s) or you disagree with our decision, you can file an appeal with the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC).

You have 30 calendar days after we have notified you of our decision to give notice of appeal to the IPC. The fee for making an appeal is $25, payable to the IPC.

You may give notice of appeal either by:

  • Completing an online appeal form, or
  • Writing and attaching a letter to the appeal form, and mailing the package - with the $25 fee - to:

Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor St. E., Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8

Privacy breaches

If you feel we have either collected, used or disclosed your personal information improperly, please contact our Access & Privacy Specialist to see if the matter can be resolved.

You may also choose to complete a privacy complaint form and send it to the IPC.

Personal Information Bank

The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) requires the city to maintain a Personal Information Bank (PIB). A PIB is an index of record types held by the City of Kitchener that contain personal information about one or more individuals. This includes:

  • details on the individuals about whom information is maintained;
  • the type of personal information maintained;
  • where it is located;
  • how it is used;
  • by whom it is used;
  • the legal authority for its collection, and
  • how long it is retained.

Correcting personal information

If you believe we have inaccurate information about you in our records, you can correct the details - provided you have the right to access the information.

To do so, you must provide proof the information you're substituting is correct by either:

  • Writing us a letter, with details about the information that should be corrected; or
  • Completing a request form.

Non FOI-related requests

Some records requests are handled outside of the formal FOI process, including:

Routine Disclosure

Routine disclosure is the release of certain types of records in response to an informal, rather than formal, request under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). A number of possible records and types of information are available to the public through routine disclosure. Available records can be found in the Routine Disclosure & Active Dissemination listing.

Environmental Phase 1 records

The fee is $181.50 (flat rate) for each request (one property per request), and a cheque payable to "City of Kitchener" must accompany your request. A request can take up to three weeks to process.

Please send your written request by either email or mail, indicating the subject property or properties, and a cheque for $181.50 to:

Michelle Maunsell, Records Administrator
Kitchener City Hall, 5th Floor
200 King St. W.
Kitchener, ON N2G 4G7


We have surveys for some local properties in our records. The fee for a copy of each survey is $12.50 (flat rate), which can be paid by cash, cheque or debit, and is due upon pick up. Surveys are typically ready for pick-up the same day a request is made. We will not charge you for a request if we do not have the survey you need.

Please keep in mind, a survey may not be up-to-date; and - in accordance with Section 29(3) of Ontario Regulation 10/26 (R.R.O. 1990) under the Surveyors Act (R.S.O. 1990, Chapter S.29) -- a survey is only valid if it's appropriately certified. Since we cannot certify a survey, the copy you receive from us will not be valid. If you require a valid copy, please contact a local Ontario land surveyor.

A survey may also be subject to copyright. You're responsible for obtaining copyright release to use the survey; this is not our responsibility.


To request a survey or for more information, please contact:

Michelle Maunsell, Records Administrator

Kitchener City Hall, 5th Floor
200 King St. W.
Kitchener, ON N2G 4G7



Contact Us