Cancellation, reduction of taxes


Under certain circumstances, you may apply for your property taxes to either be reduced or cancelled as per Section 357 of the Municipal Act. City council may accept your application if:

  • Your property could not be used for its normal use due to repairs or renovations for at least three months during the year.
  • The use of your non-residential property has changed since the return of the last revised assessment roll.
  • Your property has been granted exempt status after the return of the last revised assessment roll.
  • There has been a fire or demolition of a building on your property.
  • There is a "gross and manifest error" in the assessment.

If you qualify for a cancellation or reduction of your taxes based on any of the above criteria, you must notify us in writing no later than Feb. 28 of the next tax year, using our application for tax adjustment.


  • Include your name, telephone number, municipal address and roll number of the property;
  • Provide the details of your appeal along with any pertinent information; and
  • Sign the application.

Completed applications can be:

  • Dropped off in our payment boxes, located on the first floor of City Hall.
  • Faxed to: 519-741-2751
  • Mailed to:
    Financial Services - Revenue division
    PO Box 1113
    Kitchener, ON
    N2G 4R6

For more information, please contact us at 519-741-2450.

Contact Us