Zoning occupancy certificate


These days, it's rare to see commercial buildings used the same way for more than a few years. Older businesses, such as restaurants and coffee shops, move out, and new businesses, such as pharmacies and hair salons, move in.

In some cases, when a property owner wants to change the way either a building or the land on which it sits is used, a zoning occupancy certificate must be obtained, as required by the Ontario Planning Act and our own zoning bylaw.

You can download a zoning occupancy certificate application or pick one up from our planning division, located on the sixth floor of city hall. Application forms must be submitted to our office, either in person or by mail, with the applicable fee enclosed. Parking plans may be required with the submission of some applications.

A zoning occupancy certificate is not required for single-detached, semi-detached, duplex or street-townhouse dwellings.

Contact Us