City of Kitchener

About the Residential Credit Application  

If you own residential property, tell us how you manage stormwater on your property.

Complete the residential credit application form through the new Tax and Utility e-Billing service.  Visit the online billing webpage for instructions on how to register for the e-billing service. 

If you own multiple residential properties, you must complete a separate application for each property.

Approved stormwater best management practices for residential properties include: 

If eligible, you can receive up to 45% of the stormwater portion of your utility bill based on the amount of stormwater you are able to divert from the municipal stormwater system. In general, the more storage for stormwater that you provide using these methods the larger the rebate received. (see table below)

Residential Quantity Control BMP Credit Values

Credit Type

Volume Captured



Basic Residential Credit

200 - 800 L

1-4 rain barrels

small cistern


Normal Residential Credit

801 - 3200 L

large cistern

combination of cisterns and rain barrels


Enhanced Residential Credit

3201 L or more

large cistern

infiltration gallery


Note: The minimum volume eligible for a credit is 200 litres (L)

 Because you cannot save a partially completed application, you should have all the information you need to complete the application before you start. In order to complete this form you will need:

  • a copy of your utility bill
  • the measurements of the best management practices you use to manage stormwater or the volume of water stored. Learn what measurements you need and how to calculate volume here.

It would be helpful to have:

  • pen or pencil
  • note paper
  • calculator

Apply now!

1. Online: register for  Tax and Utility e-Billing.

2. By Mail: download and print a copy of the application. Paper copies of the application can be scanned to email and sent to or submitted by mail or in person to:

3. In Person: copies of the application are also available at city hall. 

City Hall, 9th floor
200 King St. W.
PO Box 1118
Kitchener ON N2G 4G7

Click here for a list of local contractors who are able to do stormwater works.

Click here for a RAIN home visit.