Public Consultation on a Casino in Kitchener
Our residents spoke and council responded by voting against continuing discussions with the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) about hosting a casino in Kitchener.
View the staff report and survey summary and analysis that council considered on Monday, May 13, 2013.
Appendicies as per council report:
- Map of Zone SW#1
- Chart of OLG process
- Minutes of April 23 2013 "Town Hall" Council Meeting
- Minutes of April 30 2013 "Town Hall" Council Meeting
- Environics Analysis and Summary of City of Kitchener Survey results
- Independent written input received from the community
The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation was directed by the Province of Ontario to modernize and expand its operations. OLG's new strategic plan includes building five new gaming facilities within 29 provincial gaming zones. One of those zones - SW#1 - includes Kitchener and much of the Region of Waterloo, as well as the municipality of Centre Wellington.
Municipalities are being asked to play a role in this modernization process. OLG's approach to engage municipalities in the process uses the following three steps:
- Confirm the municipality's interest in hosting a gaming facility;
- Choose a private sector operator for the gaming facility through a fair and transparent procurement process; and
- Work with the municipality and the selected operator to determine the location of the site--if the gaming facility is new or an existing facility is to be relocated within the municipality.
Some municipalities within zone SW1 have now passed resolutions either confirming their willingness to host a gaming site (Centre Wellington, Woolwich) or confirming that they are not willing to host a gaming site (Cambridge, Wilmot).
Waterloo city council decided in favour of holding an online community consultation.
Kitchener city council voted in favour of asking the community if there is interest in hosting a casino within Kitchener city limits.
The Region of Waterloo council voted in favour of a resolution to give the region a voice in the discussions around a casino in the area.